Follow ItsClassicPhil on Twitter

Friday, July 29, 2011

Now Playing: July 29


This is the first week of "Now Playing" for this blog. I do not have any press credentials, but when I do see a movie I will give my review within a few days of seeing the film. There are a few movies I'll be seeing from this weekends releases and a few I won't. Here they are:
  • Cowboys and Aliens- This will be the winner of the new releases this weekend. It has a solid cast of Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig, Olivia Wilde, and personal favorite, Sam Rockwell. This is a fanboy's dream. Indiana Jones/Han Solo teams up with James Bond in a film based on a graphic novel directed by Iron Man's driver (and also his director). Another popcorn action flick to boost the film industry's earnings. 
  • Crazy, Stupid, Love- Another star studded film where Steve Carrell is living the "perfect" life, which suddenly is destroyed by his divorce seeking wife, Julianne Moore. Ryan Gosling has great abs and Emma Stone pretends she isn't hot. Looks like a pretty average flick. I don't see this blowing me away.
  • The Smurfs- This can't be any good. Neil Patrick Harris should have steered clear of this. Learn from Jason Lee's mistake in 'Alvin and the Chipmunks'. This will be a cash cow, but NPH will lose a lot of his "street cred" (What am I saying. Take the money Neil. Don't look back). Also, why would anyone hire Katy Perry to be in a movie where she isn't on screen once?
  • Attack the Block- If you are lucky enough to have this movie playing in a theater near you, go. I urge you to see this instead of the other movies listed. You will genuinely appreciate this movie. I know the alien genre is getting tired, but this is a fresh take on it. At the very least, you will enjoy watching urban teenagers speaking with an British accent. Trailer below.
There are a few other movies debuting this week, but I haven't seen any marketing presence of these films, so I won't bother to mention. Let me know in the comments what you'll be seeing or if you have seen it already.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment