Follow ItsClassicPhil on Twitter

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bunraku: Probably Should Use Puppets


I was checking out IMDB the other day and I came across the trailer for 'Bunraku.' This trailer seems baffling to me. The movie seems to be a star studded mix of 'Kill Bill' and 'Sin City' with a dash of the Warren Beatty film, 'Dick Tracy.' The plot is similar to a traditional Bunraku story.

I was intrigued, so I immediately Googled what Bunraku meant and apparently it is a form of puppetry used in Japan. The puppets are up to four feet tall and the puppeteer wears a black cloak while operating the puppet, but the puppeteer is still in view. Naturally, I You Tubed the art form. Two movies came to mind, 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' and 'Team America: World Police.' The puppeteers look like Jason Segel's character Peter's performance of his rock opera, A Taste for Love and the puppets move like the puppets in 'Team America.'

No comments:

Post a Comment