Follow ItsClassicPhil on Twitter

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pat Summitt Diagnosed with Early Onset Dementia


Legendary Tennessee Lady Vols' basketball coach Pat Summitt has been diagnosed with early onset dementia. Summitt plans to continue coaching, but she knows she will have to work at it.
"Obviously, I realize I may have some limitations with this condition since there will be some good days and some bad days."
Summitt plans on slowing down her condition by doing mental exercises and taking medication.  Summitt is a competitive person and does not want to be treated differently.
"There's not going to be any pity party and I'll make sure of that," she told the Knoxville News Sentinel Monday evening. 
This is unfortunate for Summitt. I have researched into the long term effects of concussions on NFL players and I know that dementia can be a debilitating disease. I hope that Summitt can stay as sharp as possible and postpone longterm effects such as Alzheimer's.

(via ESPN)

No comments:

Post a Comment