Follow ItsClassicPhil on Twitter

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Toddlers and Tiaras are Ruining America

Ok, so I am finding it hard pressed to find any stories that warrant my attention today, but I will try to pluck a few gems. My first story of the day comes from TLC's reality show, 'Toddlers and Tiaras.' If you haven't seen it by now get the bleach ready because your eyes will not forgive you.

 

It is not the outfit that is so disturbing, but it is the what the outfit represents. This mother willingly dressed her daughter up as a prostitute. Her mother thinks it was comically cute and doesn't regret her poor judgement. She believes that it is ok because she is just dressing up as Julia Roberts in 'Pretty Woman.'
“Well, at this pageant there was an option to do celebrity-wear,” Dickey says. “And we thought about what we could wear with her being a brunette and Julia Roberts is my favorite actress of all time. I thought it was real cute to do Julia. She’s 3, if she was 10 I never would have considered this. But as young as she is I thought it was very comical.”
Ok, two things. The first is this mother wanted to pay homage to Julia Roberts, her favorite actress, who is brunette. Then why pick a role that Julia used a blonde wig? This mother could have dressed her daughter in a wedding dress and still have paid homage to Roberts. The second thing is that this mother knows this would be wrong if her daughter were older. I guess this means that we can dress our kids up like whatever we want until they are able to think for themselves. I can't wait to have a three year old because I will dress him up as a drug dealer for Halloween.

(via Entertainment Weekly)

No comments:

Post a Comment